11.30.2006

KT

The problem with abolishing corporate taxes, etc. is that the government would be completely broke. It's hard to talk about projects, etc., and then cut funding drastically.

I am a classical conservative. That means I like small government. So I am not so much for free markets/capitalism as I am against letting the government muck about with stuff. Nowadays I'd probably be considered a liberal, but that's looking at it from the wrong point of view--I'm not about allowing individuals liberty, I'm about preventing the government from acting to take away people's liberty, because I want the government to be very small and passive. So, try to look at my posts less with the opinion that I affirmatively support certain things, and more with the opinion that I affirmatively want to prevent government from being active.

On another note, increased legislation (Sarbanes-Oxley) is currently killing the American capital markets. IPO's listing on the NYSE are drastically lower than pre-SarBox; the London and Hong Kong exchanges are getting dramatically more listings (because they dont have SarBox). I can't even imagine how bad the NYSE (and thus, our tax base) would suffer if some of the laws we talked about were enacted.

The problem with all this talk of cutting tax rates, etc. is that we are already running a massive deficit. Now is not the time to cut revenues, now is the time to cut expenses--by preventing goverment from being active. I would support cutting revenues in order to "starve" government, but we would just borrow more money, so I'm sure it wouldn't work.

No comments: