12.08.2006

KT

I don't really care, I'm happy just to be playing. IMO Rob's the one doing all the work, so I don't feel like I have much room to complain, but then again I'm new, so take my comments as you will.

The only request I would make is that we keep complicated plot things to a minimum. I post a lot from work. Between work, women, studying for the CPA exam, friends and other stuff, I don't have time to decipher complicated puzzles about lotus seeds and 3 murals depicting a wizard, jester, and musician (or whatever). I can do simple puzzles, like re-arranging letters into a "secret password," but I just don't have the time or inclination to follow complicated stuff.

I'm all for storyline and plot, just try to keep it pop-up book simple, if you know what I mean. This isn't like the old days where we could devote 20 hours Saturday and Sunday and get completely immersed in the game.

The main problem I have with the puzzles are they turn blogging into non-interactive gaming. We can't talk about stuff over the table. So each person has to take time figuring stuff out, then read what everyone else has posted, and then try and contribute. It's like 5 blind guys trying to write a book--sometimes they right the exact same thing as the next, sometimes they miss what the other guy wrote, sometimes they write something completely off-topic because they aren't really sure what the topic is anymore. Then, it's easier to log in, post a few ideas, and then just wait for someone with more time or inclination to post (Mark/Paul) to figure stuff out, while those of us that maybe have less time/inclination (me/Chris/Dave) just check every once in awhile to see if we can start blogrolling again, or if there is something really simple and obvious which we can contribute, which of course there isn't (since Mark/Paul would have already gotten anything obvious or simple). So then we just turn into free-riders, waiting around and letting someone else carry it. Did I explain myself well? I know what I'm trying to say but I'm not sure if it comes across.

Personally, I need something less open-ended. If you said we end up in this prison city, and here's 3 options for your next move: A, B, C, that would be great. Instead, if we get dropped in a city with no guidance, I'm much more likely to just wait for someone else to suggest something, and either vote yea or nay. I just don't have the mental availability to read every word, every nuance, piece the plot puzzle together, and determine that our next step is in fact to go to the Fiery Goat and ask for Hogarth in order to learn more about the mechanical spider and specifically the priests of Amon Ra and the juiced Prince. I'm just going to miss stuff like that. On the other hand, if we found a journal that said "I just paid Hogarth, at the Fiery Goat, to keep his mouth shut...I wonder if he will...that mechanical spider really scared him," I WOULD be able to piece that together :)

[All personal references aren't meant to offend. If I got someone's role backwards/wrong just roll with it, I just used names to illustrate my point and I probably haven't played long enough or paid enough attention to be correct in my assessments.]

Can I weasel another 151 xp? I'm at 3850/4000 for 3rd level...

No comments: