12.18.2006

HAY GUYS WHTS GOIN ON IN THIS BOLG??/

Justin end of the semester: cheers to that! Lot of that going around; I just finished a two year set of experiments, and other friends have wrapped school shit up.

In terms of the game, the short of it is that you're all in an underground prison city. You can't easily leave, but there's a lot going on, so you might not have to just yet. You can train in Cleric, and probably should- that's retconned, as you acquired enough xp from before being thrown in prison. Most importantly, your equipment is reduced to zero. There are weapon making rules somewhere in there- Tut and Thaka have some very useful skills, and so if you want them to help you make some substandard but at least effective weapons, you can roll their checks for yourself.

Dave will be the first to champion House of Leaves; I read it on his recommendation. I think he read it so many times that his copy fell apart. Pretty good. Three short reads are Pale Fire by Nabokov, The White Castle by Pamuk, and Ficciones by Borges. All top shelf.

I just read Jhereg by Steven Brust. I liked it, I guess- but it was sort of like reading the in-character journal of 20th level guys. Lots of resurrections and resurrection blocking, teleports and teleport blocking, everyone has magic artifacts, I dunno. I prefer rusty daggers and 5 cp to 100000 year old necromancers who just casually hang out and have ancient weapons and shit. Also reading Against the Day, which is so far fantastic. Not that I have a ton of free time, but I've also gotten into 'Lost' and just started the 2nd season on DVD. Fucking great show, there. If we get to do another game, a Lost-inspired, Fallout style alone-in-the-wasteland start would be great I think. I don't got a TV, so if anyone's watching season 3, lemme know what you think.

No comments: