9.22.2006

What's wrong with Blogger?

Steve, congratulations!!!!

If we moved, we wouldn't really lose anything here. As this blog would remain, I could even link to our archives.

However, blogger does provide some ease-of-use. There are blogging platforms like Wordpress and Typepad that work similarly, but allow for a lot more customization.

This is what's wrong with Blogger:
1) Blogger does not host files. For example, our header image and the DiD summary PDFs are hosted on a site called myfilestash.com.
2) Thus, Blogger cannot store HP totals on the mainpage that can be changed with ease. It isn't impossible, however, the data needs to be in a hosted file. To alter the file, one generally needs to go to the hosting site, log in, etc... in order to update our HPs.
3) Our character sheets are somewhat limited. If you haven't noticed, you can only add a certain number of items in each field before they stop showing up. Editing Blogger profiles is easy, which is a very good thing, however, a new platform should have customizable profile pages that are easy to edit.
4) Blogger has limited customization potential. One thing I would like to do is to have our RSS immediately get saved into a word.doc. Perhaps someone is out there that does this and hosts the docs for free, but I haven't seen it. With domain space, we could do this. Basically, having our own site would allow us to dream and do.

Even so, Blogger isn't half bad. I've learned a lot from this experience, and were we to start a new campaign on a new Blogger site, I think it could be pimped out a bit more.

We might even be able to do some crazy stuff with a hybrid now that I think of it. Domains are cheap. We might even be able to bastardize a Blogger Blog with some other rented space, calling script and files from that site...

That might not be too bad. I have some domain space. Let me see if I can't do a hp counter that way.

Steve, I just read your post. I can improve the posting attribution here, actually. In fact, I'll do that this weekend.

No comments: