1.08.2007

AMERICAN BALD EAGLE

I love looking at the map stats. We're up to almost 1500 unique views per month. I wager most of them come from people pressing the 'Go to a random blog' button in the upper right hand corner, but that's okay.

Anyway, for whatever reason, 'American Bald Eagle' is our biggest draw. I tried it on Google and clicked through a few pages of searches, and we were nowhere to be seen. Maybe we should just routinely post bald eagle pictures on the blog and see if our map stats skyrocket. Hence the post on the main page.

...

Saw Pan's Labyrinth on New Year's Eve (prior to a night of much drinking, where my girl taught me what a 'Jaeger Bomb' is). What a fucking great movie (already #155 on IMDB). In addition to one of the tightest, best stories I've seen in a movie, ever, it referenced just about every kid's fantasy movie I could think of (except maybe Dark Crystal): Mirrormask, Sleeping Beauty, Wizard of Oz, Neverending Story, Labyrinth, &c, and surpassed them all (not necessarily a hard feat). Also, the great twinning of events in the real adult world and in the fantasy realm.

The movie is worth watching, if only for a single scene (SPOILER, yo): where Ofelia fails her saving throw on her second quest, in the dimension of the Eater of Children (aka the Pale Man). (Not the only brilliant scene in the movie, but my favorite scene in any movie second to the Harkonnen surgeons of Giedi Prime in Dune.) I aspire to that level of weirdness and horror.

No comments: