8.22.2006

To Reign in Chicago

Odd that you mentioned Steven Brust, Paul. I just finished "To Reign in Hell", my first SB novel last night. -I really dug it.

Given the subject matter, he could have grabbed the Divine Comedy, Bible, etc... and made it twice as long jacking off all over the place. It's simple and sweet. -In a Hemingway kind of way, not a Steven King kind of way.

That's one thing I didn't like about Focault's Pendulum. -Too much jacking off. -I mean, Eco is great at it, but sometimes enough is enough. It's on point, but too pedantic.

Anyway, on the Biblical note, while I was in the ICU last week wondering whether or not my dad would make it, I started flipping through the complimentary Bible.

Has anyone read Jesus' first sermon? It's awesome. I'll get the verse for you all. Basically, he tosses out the Old Testament point by point. However, he then gives some very clear instructions on how to live. Basically, the Golden Rule. Yet, what really stunned me was his clear instructions not to pray in public or en masse. He says, quite specifically, go to your room alone to pray. He calls public prayer hypocrisy.

Jesus said not to pray en masse. Why, don't people listen to Jesus?

I know some of us are religious, and some are not. And I do not wish to offend. However, from the bottom of my heart, I sincerely wonder how people rationalize placing human cultural constructs over some of Jesus' teachings. Don't get me wrong, I am very glad that they do, however, to me, not follow Divine Edict to the word seems to be assuming to know the mind of God. That is, to say "Well, in this case Jesus wasn't being literal." or "In this case, we need to fight back, not turn the other cheek." Isn't that extremely presumptous?

Then again, later Jesus tosses a rock and tells Peter to build a church.

I don't know. With eternal damnation on the line, were I really a believer, I'd worry myself sick. How should I interpret the Bible? Should I use my gut instinct, or listen to a religious scholar or leader. Does God really know what's in my mind and everything will be ok? Or, is that notion just a reflection of our liberal western morality?

I'll tell you what, I do know one thing for sure, no person can say what is the right or wrong way to interpret the Bible. -Assuming such a notion exists. Hell, maybe the Bible is a test, and our response to it is what God is really looking at.

Anyway, I am very glad I am not religious. To me, to be religious on earth is not only to assume the Divinve, but to 'practice' religion, is to give some human the credit of correctly interpreting the Divine.

In fact, I'd say practicing religion is worshipping man's notions before, or at least in addition to, worshipping God. -Maybe that's why Jesus said to pray alone.

Like I said, I do not want to offend. -These are just my thoughts on the subject. I'd love your prespectives.

BTW, Steve, we will have to come to Chicago soon. That would be a blast. It's a great town.

No comments: