6.25.2006

More about books

Chris, good to hear about the new job. You recommend Ivanhoe, huh? I'll have to take a look.

Other books. I loved Don Quixote. In case you don't know, it's about a guy who reads too many fantasy novels and decides to go off and be an adventurer. There are fucking hilarious parts I only aspire to here on DiD, it's basically an epic adventure gone horribly, horribly wrong, mainly because it's in the real world, where there aren't damsels in distress, monsters, wizards, etc.

Have you read A Game of Thrones? I picked it up and got 20 pages into it, put it down because the whole 7-wolves-for-7-heirs thing was fucking cheesy. "We found six. But then we found a scrappy white albino pup! Who will take care of such a sickly yet dangerous beast?"
"I will," says the littlest knight. The monks nodded gravely to each other... was this an omen? A cold wind blew.

Or something. But if anyone can recommend it, I'll try it again.

We could probably all talk books for a while, so I'll keep a list of recommendations short:
Pale Fire, Vladimir Nabokov
The Prestige, Christopher Priest
Foucault's Pendulum, Umberto Eco

All amazing, unique books... the first two are rather short.

...

As for me, well you sorta know my story. I try to stay as anonymous here as possible though. "Behind the DM screen" so to speak.

No comments: