5.09.2006

Where is Renwick?

Yeah. Paul and I both used "debate". But, call it what you like.

I hadn't posted since before Paul asked "What is science?" so I was catching up. -I think you covered the "What is science?" to my satisfaction, though.

I was still speaking to faith and belief: the difference between faith in science and faith in religion, and how I see them to be different.

Anyhow...

Palimpsest is a great word. However I don't think it's orthogonal to 'solipsist'. Could something be? Did you mean dissimilar? I'd say unrelated, but I could imagine parallel or conflicting uses of the two.

What's the curl of the palimpsest and solipsist components of soliloquy? -Heh.

I think a palimpsest-style game could be cool. I once planned a character that would keep a journal of events as-he-saw-them, much different from the perspective of the party. I thought it would be great if his actions could be logically explained in two very different perspectives at the same time. -That would be the challenge, to keep the two sets of reasoning consistent with his actions, but quite different in their motivations.

Solipsism should be easy to work into a game. Hell, the entire last century is full of examples in art, fiction, religion... what-have-you. Isn't the whole "It was only a dream!" the biggest, crappiest use of solipsism there is? To be honest, I can hardly take it. It's a kind of masturbation, -a calling oneself on the phone, no?

As for a Palimpsest component to a game, now I think that would be interesting. And, likely very difficult build so as to produce a positive effect. That would be some high-level DMing...

I'd like to hear more.

No comments: