10.06.2005

Sarpagal 6

Ya, watched The Truth Hurts... 8 Bit Theatre is great stuff; really, the link should be to 8 Bit, as 8 Bit always evolves.

Serenity. I think it goes beyond somewhat intelligent, Mark. For better or for worse, I've watched a shitload of Joss Whedon's genre TV, and the guy is a master. Buffy was often campy, but got better and richer as the seasons went on. In my view, by the time Whedon got to Firefly, it was basically like watching an awesome fucking campaign develop arc by arc. Back to Serenity, the narrative structure of the movie is flawed only by the somewhat pat ending and dependency on the character dynamics built up by Firefly the TV show. But the characters, my god, they're the best I've ever seen in any movie or TV show. The global narrative is cliched of course- it's an adventure story. But the local cliches though are mostly sent up (though not all, the Shepherd had to live on just long enough to give his speech); makes me fucking jealous. Hell, I've even used a few of his plot devices- the one-mystical-girl army, researchers and viruses or the like, and the surprise death of character #2 (used that one in exactly the same way... used it twice it was so good, and made one of my players cry).

Speaking of which, here's a bit of news... I'm likely running a campaign again. Sarpagal 6, all new players. I'll tell more when I know more.

No comments: