8.10.2007

How does it feel?

My big new pop culture find is 'Doom Patrol', a fucking great comic from the late 80s. Yeah sure, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Sandman, that's all great. And yeah, Doom Patrol is basically super-heroes saving the world, and a lot of the writing is pretentious. But my GOD, the ideas. The weirdness. Unmatched.

...

I think music is just getting better and better. Did I mention I went through iTunes' collections of singles for each year from like the late 70s until now? And the late-80s, mid-90s was a desert, a fucking desert. Listen to fucking New Kids on the Block, late hair metal, and nu-metal to see what a wasteland of music we've escaped from. No really, listen to the music and composition of 'Hanging Tough'. Christ almighty is that seriously bad music, and Christ knows I love pop songs.

A while back, I wondered what the greatest dance song was. I posited New Order's Blue Monday, 'cause I've heard it about a billion times in every kind of club I've ever been to, goth, industrial, techno, electro, 80s, pop, mashup. Turns out there's some data supporting my claim- it's the biggest selling 12" single of all time:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,6903,660693,00.html

...

Like a dork, I missed Peter Hook when we was here a couple weeks ago.

...

R.I.P. Tony Watson:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6941392.stm

No comments: