7.09.2007

Sick.

Saw Sicko yesterday. I just happened to be sick, too.

It's a must see. -However, it just confirmed what I already strongly suspected. 'For profit' medicine is bad as a entire system approach. -I agree that the wealthy should have the choice to buy better care. However, the other 97% or so need a better system.

I am a fucking hospital employee and last time I was sick and tried to schedule an appointment, they suggested I come in in 4 weeks. -I said I would either be better or dead by then. Three days later I waited 3 hours past my appointment time to see a doctor.

Gao Qi had a lot of dental work done last year. -Cost us 2k after insurance. Fuck anyone that says nationalized health care will raise taxes. 2k is a fucking big tax hike in my opinion. Also, I have to choose within a network. -No real freedom. Our health care system is a ridiculous tax. My Grandma pays $500 a month after insurance. 6k a year is a fucking big tax.

Gao Qi's brother owns a pharmaceutical distribution business. We visited my grandma last week. My grandma's prescription eyedrops cost her $50. The insurance company paid $150 beyond that. Goa Qi's brother laughed. He can get it for $1 in China. -Same manufacturer. Same exact product. -That's not subsidized either. That's the actual fucking value of a very standard hormone eyedrop. My grandma's $200 antibiotics? $0.50 in China. Free market value. No government subsidy. -You see, hospitals in China are allowed to price negotiate with pharmaceutical companies when they buy their drugs. We looked at about 10 more drugs and found the same disparity.

We are being fucking ripped off. Ripped off really, really badly.

Do you know how many cheap effective proven drugs are no longer used because they aren't profitable? It's insane. We are being given less-tested, more expensive drugs in their place just because of patents.

If my father wants to buy a latex catheter tube (about 5 cents of rubber), it costs him $20 for one.

Fuck our healthcare system. Fuck it in the bum.

It only wants my cash. And I have no options.

I am sick of feeling like everyone wants my fucking money. I am sick of having to fight just to get treated well. -Can't even choose my goddamn internet provider. Fuck this false capitalism. Free market my ass.

No comments: